Monday 2 November 2015

Carry on Wayward Son


Supernatural has been on our screens for 10 years and the boys are entering their 11th Season.  I was never able to watch it on tv because I had other commitments the night the show first started, but thanks to Netflix, and some down time from the theatre, I had a chance to watch it.  And binge watch I did.  Ten seasons in two weeks, with plenty of 3am bedtimes and "DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE" messages from Netflix (so judgemental).

A month later and many, many late nights watching every possible Youtube of Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins and the gang at the last 10 years of conventions I think it's safe to say I may have crossed the line into obsessed.

And I'm not afraid to say it.  But guess what I like best about this show?  The fact that my 17 year old son and I watch it together.  We don't do a lot of things together.  After all he's 17.  He's independent. He has his own likes and dislikes and aside from a couple of bands we both like, there aren't a lot of things we share in common.  He's introverted.  He's quiet.  His sense of humour is very dry.  I adore him.  But our interests are quite different and very often it leaves us little to talk about.

So when he sat down one afternoon and watched a couple of episodes with me, I got quietly excited.  The thing is, what we love most about the show is the relationship between Sam and Dean, the two brothers.  It's messed up, it's complicated and it's family.  And the two of us can relate.

Funny memes, tags in facebook and twitter about Supernatural and one line jokes only other fans understand are now things we share on a daily basis.

Last night's episode was called 'Baby' and it was a unique episode.  Shot entirely from the '67 Impala's viewpoint (Dean's beloved car known as 'Baby' and considered a character in her own right) made for some of the best viewing I've seen in ages.  We got to see Sam and Dean at their most personal.  And I related, because very often the best conversations I have with my eldest are in the car.  Little eye contact and music in the background opens him up.   I often find excuses to go for long drives just so he and I can talk (my youngest chats with  me all the time so he just falls asleep on road trips!) and it's always surprising, funny and honest.

The cherry on top - last night when we both headed off to bed we said Good Night to each other.  And the #SPNFamily, as they're known, will get why this moment was so special.

SON:  Good night Jerk
ME:  Good Night Bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment